Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Dinner Party?

Can I just have a small moment here and then I will go back to being my cheerful Trailing Spouse self?

OK, so you will all remember that the stuff we brought to Switzerland was all of the stuff out of the Clemson house, right?  The Clemson house was really like a play house, not a real house.  The kitchen, for example, was not fully equipped.  I mean, I had dishes, a corkscrew and wine glasses and that was about it.  I never really cooked anything in that house because I always took the kids out to eat when I went up there.

Anyway, so we had to buy one of those sets of graduated sauce pans when we moved here.  We also bought a frying pan.  Do you see where I am going with this?  So, Mr. Big just calls (it is 11 a.m. on Thursday) from Nuremberg, Germany wanting to know if it is OK if we have 4 of his colleagues to the house for dinner tomorrow night.  I really want to, because even though they are his controllers and accountants and conversation will be oh-so-stimulating I’m sure, at least it will be something to do and it will be people to talk to besides Mr. Big.

However.  However.  Remember, I do not have a car.  Our one car is at the Geneva airport, where it has been since Tuesday morning when Mr. Big left.  I am trying to wrap my mind around the physical logistics of serving a dinner party for 6 including appetizers and dessert with only my own two feet, public transportation, a bookbag , my two Mindy bags and my six ice trays.  I estimate, conservatively, that it would involve at least 5 trips back and forth to town to buy all of the alcohol, foodstuffs and pans that I would need.  I mean, I don’t even have a cookie sheet or a baking pan, or anything.  Maybe even more than 5 because a nice dessert has to be carried in two hands, so that’s one trip all by itself.


I told Mr. Big that I didn’t think it was going to work out, but I don’t think he gets it.  Ya know, what’s wrong with a nice restaurant?  OK, moment over.  Only 29 minutes to go until noon when I can open the wine.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment